BUILDING AND GROUNDS — Meets: 2nd Monday at 7:00 pm
Chair: Alan Beyel
Session Liaison: Ruling Elder Brian Abbott
Our congregation is fortunate to have the church buildings that we have received as a heritage
from members of our congregation who have come before us. The B&G Committee strives to
ensure that our facilities are well cared and ready to serve our congregation’s needs well into
- The committee performs a variety of yearly tasks including landscape work, washing
windows, covering and uncovering air conditioners, resetting thermostats, turning
exterior faucets on and off, and boiler maintenance.
- The committee monitors the Building Use Agreements, maintains a contact list of our vendors, works with the Finance Committee to renew the lease with MCCC and the tenant apartment, and follows a monthly planning calendar of recurring responsibilities.
- Recent large projects include replacement of the roof of Shinaman hall, replacement
of tile flooring throughout the building, and renovation of portions of the Church
CHRISTIAN EDUCATION — Meets: 1st Sunday at 11:30 am
Chair: Allison Ray
Session Liaison Ruling Elder Brian Ray
- Secures teachers for all Sunday School classes and youth fellowship groups, providing support and guidance as necessary;
- Approves developmentally- and age-appropriate curriculum for K-12 students in cooperation with the Christian Education Coordinator and routinely assesses program viability and success;
- Engages with young people and their families on a regular basis in church and reaches out to visiting families with children to create a welcoming atmosphere conducive to encouraging the growth of the CE program;
- Plans special events for ALL members of the church (e.g. Advent Event, Christmas Pageant, Annual Easter Egg Hunt, Youth Sunday, Graduation Sunday);
- Works cooperatively with area churches in Marcellus to provide ecumenical youth activities and offer collaborative support to area youth leaders;
- Assists with the coordination, advertisement and delivery of Marcellus Ecumenical Vacation Bible School in cooperation with Marcellus churches;
- Assists with coordination of local and global youth mission projects and volunteering opportunities for all ages of youth at MFPC (e.g. Samaritan Center, Light a Candle for Literacy, Heifer International, Southside Community Center renovation, Crop Walk, Habitat for Humanity fundraising, Little Free Library, Share the Warmth collection for local immigrant farmworkers, SPCA volunteering, Service Work at Vanderkamp Camp and Retreat Center, Service Projects at MFPC including redecorating and updating classrooms and recreational space);
- Supports youth involved in programming at Triennium and Vanderkamp Christian Camp and Retreat Center;
- Provides current updates on CE activities and opportunities available to all MFPC churchgoers via weekly announcements and newsletter publications.
FELLOWSHIP AND OUTREACH — Meets: 3rd Monday at 7:00 pm
Chair: Ruling Elder Charlie Smith
- Continue to search for ways to reach out to our community members and visitors
- Church banners
- Welcome people to our community and church with personal visits, etc.
- Provide opportunities for Christian Fellowship: coffee hour, Easter Breakfast, Habitat for Humanity, new member functions, etc.
- Oversee bulletin boards, newsletter, church attendance patterns, etc.
FINANCE COMMITTEE — Meets as scheduled
Chair: Ruling Elder Karl Barner
- Run annual Pledge Campaign
- Plan and recommend the annual church budget
- Supervise the receipt and expenditure of all funds
- Provide stewardship education for the entire congregation
- Audit accounts and offer suggestions for maintaining a balanced budget, while encouraging church growth
Chair: Ruling Elder Sue Wegman
Meets: 1st Monday at 7:00 pm
- Interpret mission in our community & the larger world
- Coordinate activities such as: Samaritan Center Meals, CROP Walk, Food Pantry, Christmas Angels, etc.
- Promote special offerings: Peacemaking, One Great Hour of Sharing, Blankets + and Christmas Joy
NOMINATING — Meets: As Necessary
Chair: Ruling Elder Dick Lautenslager
- Annually seeks eligible members of the congregation to serve as Deacons, Elders, and ushers
- Candidates are presented the congregation for election
- Seeks candidates to fill vacated positions, as necessary
PERSONNEL COMMITTEE — Meets: As needed
Chair: Ruling Elder, Debbie Quick
- Hires and deals with personnel issues of those employed by our church: choir director, Christian education coordinator, custodian, nursery care provider, office professional, organist, & treasurer
WORSHIP PLANNING COMMITTEE — Meets: About once/quarter, as needed
Chair: Ruling Elder Mary Heil
- Arranges for greeters, liturgists, etc.
- Decorates sanctuary for various religious seasons
- Evaluates the various elements of our worship services
- Provide a wide variety of worship elements and styles through music, readers, acolytes, etc.
- Sets communion schedule, etc.
PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN — Meets: 2nd Wednesday at 11:30 am
Chair: Jackie Davies
- Mission is the key focus with fellowship as an important factor
- Assembled Kits for Church World Service
- Hosted World Day of Prayer
- Spring Presbyterian Women Meeting.
- Assembled School Kits
- Provided soup, cookies, kitchen help to support various events, etc.
- Helped with events like: Picnic in Park, Christmas Dinner, etc.
YOUTH GROUP — Meets: Sundays at 10:50 am
Advisors: Allison Ray and Brian Ray
PRESBYTERY OF CAYUGA-SYRACUSE —
Ruling Elder Charlie Smith